Day of Mourning – April 28th
On April 28th, we remember those men and
women who died as a result of workplace injuries or
illness. Last year in
April 28th should also be the day when all of us commit to eliminating these unnecessary tragedies. It is not just enough to make sure that you are working safely; you need to look after the other workers on your crew and site. That means if you see someone doing something unsafe that could get them injured, you will intervene in a non-confrontational way and provide suggestions on how the job could be done in a safer manner.
All of us need to make sure that we keep our minds on the task we are doing. It doesn’t take more than a moment of inattention to result in serious consequences. The goal of everyone should be that all workers go home at the end of the day in the same condition that they arrived to work in the morning. Safety is more than a slogan or video. Make it part of your lives every day.
8 News :
Congratulations to Daniel Lee. He was named the top
sheet metal apprentice in
· The vehicle and travel allowances will be adjusted in accordance with the rates published by the Canada Revenue Agency in January 2016. The vehicle allowance will go from $0.52 per km to $0.51 per km. The travel allowances will also be decreased by the same percentage (-1.92%). This will apply to all Provincial collective agreements and will be effective on the first pay period following the 1st of May 2016.
The Edmonton Golf Tournament will be held on Saturday
May 28, 2016 at the Edmonton Garrison Memorial Golf and
Curling Club, with tee-off at 2:00 PM. The Edmonton
Garrison club is located at
The Provincial Skills competition will be held at the
· Our Local 8 team had a good showing in the 2016 Southern Building Trades of Alberta “Battle of the Trades” , playing five games with 2 wins, a tie and 2 losses.
· A COMET course will be held at the Edmonton Local 8 hall at 9:00 AM on May 14. Contact Kerry to register or email firstname.lastname@example.org
A Job Steward course will be held at the Edmonton Hall
on May 7th beginning at 9:00 AM. Contact
Shawn in the
· Applications for the 2015 - 2016 apprentice scholarships
are now being accepted by Alberta Apprenticeship and
Industry Training. An application form can be found
online at Tradesecrets.org or in the
The Do It For Dads walk run in support of Prostate
· Training Department: Schedule:
Contact the Training Dept. at (780)426-3375 ext.225 or email@example.com to register for any of the courses.
· Contact the Training Dept. at the above numbers if you need other training or would like to practice in our training center.
Please remember to submit copies of all current certificates to the Training Department to ensure our records are kept up to date
Nominations for Pension Plan & Health & Welfare Plan Trustees
Local 8 will be holding nominations in conjunction with the regularly scheduled membership meetings in May for one Trustee each for the Retirement Trust Fund Pension Plan and the Health and Welfare Plan. Elections, if required, will be conducted by mail-in ballot and those would be mailed out at the end of May. Both positions are for three-year terms commencing July 1, 2016. Please see the calendars on the back page for May meeting dates. Nominees must be active Journeymen members in good standing with the Local for at least 2 years. The term of Pension Trustee Bradley Watters will conclude on June 30, 2016. Sadly, Health & Welfare Trustee, Stan Krasowski passed away during his term. The Local would like to extend its gratitude for their service.